Saturday, September 19, 2009

First Impressions and Our Trip Out





Our trip out here was great.  Rya turned out to be a wonderful little traveler, although really she's proven to be wonderful is most respects so we weren't too surprised.    We loaded up the trailer the night before and were ready to hit the road  the next morning as soon as we took Mylene to the foot doctor, waited for her to have x-rays, found out it was infected, went to Walmart to get the antibiotics, waited until 9 for the pharmacy to open...blah, blah, blah.   Finally we hit the road  around 12 or 1 and at last, my vision of the 2 (well now 3) of us driving out past COP with our trailer in-tow came to  fruition.  We drove along at about 90 because the trailer said max 45 mph.  We were by far the slowest vehicle on the road.  We passed only one vehicle all day; a  circa 1960 car pulling an even bigger trailer than ours.  We left them in our dust...  Long story short, we made it to Revelstoke, I cheaped out on the hotel,we got what we paid for, woke up around 6 the next morning, sped up a little and managed to catch the 5:30ish ferry from Horseshoe Bay.  We found our way to our cottage, took a couple day to unpack and settle in and make ourselves at home.


        I have found myself, on numerous occasions, blown away by this place.  Roberts Creek is exactly what I needed.  I know I have been lucky to live in Calgary and it was a great place to grow up but I don't know that I've ever felt more at home than I do here.  It's more than just the magnificent trees and the proximity to the ocean; it's an overall sense of calm that seems to define everyone.  I start most mornings sitting on the end of the pier with a cup of coffee, hearing the waves crash on the rocks and watching the birds fly about.  The last two mornings, a fisherman has been out casting his line in hopes of catching something, or perhaps not.  After a few minutes of enjoying the scene and letting my thoughts  come and go I resume my  trek to school.

I have already learned so much from Robert and also the other students.  We've begun tool making and preparing our tools but I will get into that more in my next post.

3 comments:

  1. I am eager to read more about your time up there. If you start slacking off on blog posts I will crack the whip and get you writing again! I'm also really pleased to hear you're enjoying yourself up there. I feel the same way about Vancouver (though it's not nearly as relaxing as where you are, it still feels more mellow than Calgary by a long shot).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, who knew you were such a good writer?! Sounds like you are having a great time out there and enjoying yourself a lot. Can't wait to hear more about what your learning and doing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to read about someone who loves, loves, loves where they live. Well done my friend. So happy for you guys! Leaving was probably a bitter sweet thing. You want to go back, but at the same time, who would ever want to once you find pure happiness.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.