Monday, October 12, 2009

Planes and other tools

I've finished all of my planes and they have been working great.   Each one has it's own purpose and when perfectly set-up are a lot of fun to use.

This first one here is a polishing plane made from Mesquite, with an African Blackwood cross pin.


This one is a coopering plane.  It has a curved bottom for hollowing out inside curves on doors and such.  It is made from Jatoba with a Maple cross pin.



This is my jointer plane.  It's made from Maple with a Kwila pin and an applied sole of Kempas.



Last but certainly not least, the first plane we made, our smoother, from Jatoba with a Kwila cross pin.
 

In between other things sometimes we have a little extra time so make things like my plane adjustment hammer from Ebony and a marking knife from Maple.
 

This is a mallet that I'm working on for our Secret Santa.  I know it's early but better to do it now than when I'm trying to get my first piece done!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.