Saturday, December 12, 2009

The Finishing of Wabi-Sabi

Wow!  I am verging on failure when it comes to the mission I stated at the top of this here blog.  As I explained I always struggle with keeping up to date with such thing.  I am however going to make up for it in the next few days and try to bring everything up to speed.  In my defense, our internet connection was down for a little over a week, but I realize that that is not much of a defense.

So since the last post we have finished our Wabi-Sabi Cabinets.  I was thrilled with how mine turned out.  Throughout the process I was convinced that little mistakes would surely amount to a poor finished product but I was surprised at how quickly such things are forgotten and I was left with a little piece that summed up everything I'd learned and showed how far I had come.

Ok so get to some pictures already!

 Fitting the drawer.  We've learned a technique that JK referred to as "let-go" in which you pull out the drawer and it grabs just a little at the very end which stops it.  Basically the drawer pocket is a wee bit bigger at the back than the front and the drawer matches so when you pull the drawer out the let-go kicks in and it feels really nice and smooth.  I made my finger-pull hole nice and big for my fat thumbs.

 The red cedar drawer bottom slides in from the back into grooves cut in the sides and front.



The shelf is held up by what is referred to as consoles.  We carved these out of some pear wood because it is nice to carve.

The back panel is a floating panel held in a frame and then fitted to the back of the cabinet.  I made the wall hangers from brass stock and once the door was fit and installed, it was done!


Gotta love the "character" on the inside of the door.  We started with a big piece off of a plank and what we found inside was what we worked with.  This picture shows the book-matched panel nicely.
 
My first real project is well under way and I will get caught up on blogging that asap!

1 comment:

  1. Ian this is fatastic - I love it. You guys are going to have some cool pieces in your house once you're all done. - Scott and Jaime

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.