Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ian Crosby: Woodworker

For the last 4 months I have been working in the hole, which quite literally was an enormous hole that we worked in.  Doing concrete form carpentry in a setting like that provided ample contrast to the peaceful woodworking we all experienced in Roberts Creek.  Anyways, long story short...the company I was working for expects 60 hour weeks Mon-Sat and with Mylene and Rya at home who wants to work that much, especially in a hole.  I will miss some of the guys there as we often shared good laughs but I am more than excited to get back to wood and have as much family time as I want.


As I haven't posted anything since July, despite the other job, progress has been made in the shop.  In fact, the shop is done and the work bench is currently underway.  I remember people saying that to build your own was a ton of work.  They weren't kidding, but it has given me a great opportunity to tweak and tune machines without worrying about spoiling precious project wood.  I want the bench to be nice but functionality is all I'm really concerned about.  Don't worry, I've put no effort into grain graphics...that would be ridiculous. 


So as of this coming Tuesday, I will be in the shop full time, trying to make a go of this whole woodworking thing.  No time better than the present!!

3 comments:

  1. hey glad to see you're back at it! making a bench is a heck load of work, but you save a lot of money and you have the satisfaction you made it yourself. it's kind of a rite of passage for woodworkers, making their own bench. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great that you are going to be making a go of it full time. I would love to talk one on one some time. I have a few potential things that I would love to run past you.

    Aric Hartley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, yes, it's more work than I imagined but in the end I'll be pleased with it I'm sure. It's been a good way to get back in the groove too.

    Aric, I'd love to talk to you. Drop me an e-mail or something.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.