Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Mom's Dining Set

So, I said I had an exciting project to start on soon.  It is exciting, but it is also large and not really an ease yourself into things way to start.  I am psyched though and ready for the challenge.  I'm really thankful for the opportunity as it seems like a good kickstart to what I hope will be a successful venture in furniture making.

Below you will see some sketch-up renderings of the dining table and chairs that will one day belong to my Mom.  This month was a milestone birthday for her and without giving away her age,  lets just say it was a big enough one that my Dad decided he wanted to commission an extra special gift for her. 

Keep in mind the purpose of these was to give them a general idea of what I was thinking.  The slightly off proportions and shapes leave them looking quite blah but you'll get the idea.


Side view of arm chair.  The stretcher will not have that weird angle...thanks for that sketch-up...




Seats will be woven and yes, I realize Ill be weaving for a week.  I'll pop in a few good movies and tada!...I hope.

I like the armless, plus it keeps thing less crowded around the table...we have discussed the possibility of having 6 arm chairs but I will be voting neh.



The table top looks nice with this perfect quarter-sawn walnut graphic.  I'm still debating how to best construct the table-top.  Veneers or solid wood?  Both seem to have their advantages but we'll see.

The legs of both the chairs and the table will taper slightly and be a little heavier on the bottom.
The mock-up of the chair is done and awaiting testing and approval from Mom.  Mylene and Byron have been kind enough to lend their bottoms and opinions in the name of comfort but I will talk more about that in the next post.  I also have a big pile of wood in the downstairs family room that I will share...well, not share but you know.

3 comments:

  1. Damnit Ian! That looks strikingly similar to a chair that I have been thinking of doing! Though your leg leans more to the Vidar side than mine may, and I put a pair of stretchers on the sides... Well, we come from the same school and a good looking/fitting chair is a good looking/fitting chair.
    Congrats on the project! Something to really jump out of the gates with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your not sharing your wood? i wouldn't either.

    looks like a great first commission, should keep you busy for a couple of days.

    all walnut?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, if your thinking something similar I'm taking it that means I'm on the right track. I've never been terribly confident in the design department and enjoyed the influence of others at school. I'll post pics of the mock-up soon as it of course is a little bit different.

    Jacques, you can look but don't touch...
    I'm hoping to be done by next Friday, but we'll see how it goes. And yes, all walnut. I'm calling it the Steve Neil Dining Set.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.