Saturday, October 22, 2011

Chairs are done and the table is coming along

I never imagined that this dining set would the whole of my woodworking life for 2011 but that is indeed what it represents. Working full-time does not leave a lot of shop time but I have salvaged what I could. That being said, I'm happy with the results and have enjoyed my time, however infrequent it may be.

Photo 1: six chairs ready for delivery
Photo 2: table to is currently being finished.

The table top is solid walnut, and to say that it was a challenge graphically would be an understatement. I fought with myself for a month about matches and color and actually glued, then cut apart many joints that didn't fit my eye as it obviously had when I decided to glue it up. Anyways, in the end it shows intent and I feel like I got the most that I possibly could out of the wood.

Photo 3: The underside of the top. The top is roughly 41"x73" and 1 1/8" thick. To lighten up the edge it is beveled to about 3/4" at the edge. Similar to the arms of the chairs, the corner also offers a little tactile interest hidden underneath.

Like I said, short and sweet. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.