Thursday, January 21, 2010

Finito! Walnut Wall Cabinet!


So when I left off, the back panel was mostly put together and I was ready to move on to the drawers.  Not many pictures of the process but here they are.
 
Robert gave me a beautiful little piece of Tasmanian Blackwood for the fronts and the sides were actually some mystery wood that came bolted on the new table saw when it arrived.  Whatever it is, it's nice and dovetailed beautifully.  The bottoms are red cedar and the pulls were carved from Imbuya.  I was really pleased with the fit I achieved on the drawers.  They actually act as pistons, pushing and sucking each other in and out...sort of a vacuum effect.
This is a photo of my back panel being glued in.  It was a successful glue-up as I put far more time into planning than I did with the wabi-sabi back panel glue-up.  Sometimes, it seems, an extra hour spent planning can save you from a disaster and much angst.  It feels good when everything goes according to plan.  Many cauls and many clamps.

The door was the last glue-up I had to do.  I waffled over the shape and size of the "fin" leading up to Christmas and when I came back I decided that I agreed with Robert and several others who suggested it be toned down just a little bit.  It now works much better with the grain graphics on the panel and seems so obviously right, in hind sight.

Next I fit and hung the door, installed the wall hangers I had previously made and put some shellac on the door frame.  I am still debating whether or not I want to put a pull on the front or simply carve on on the side of the door, but for al intents and purposes, it is done.

And so, I present.... my Walnut Wall Cabinet






 I really enjoyed working on this project and I feel like a did a good job.  It was heavily influenced by those around me and was much better for it.  Thank you to all of you.

Wood Summary:
Carcass and Frames - Black Walnut
Door panels - Red Elm
Drawers - Tasmanian Blackwood, Red Cedar, reclaimed wood, Imbuya
Back panels - spalted reclaimed wood

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments so thank you for leaving one.